Before you get your hands messy:
Put on your favourite record or Spotify playlist (@modeletto.store for some of our tunes).
- Grab a chopping board to work on and a small bowl of water.
- A rolling pin or something you can roll clay with like a glass bottle.
- Ruler or straight edge.
- Get your clay pouch + tools ready
Whenever we mention:
- Score: use your pointy tool to etch small lines into each surface to be joined.
- Slip: dip your finger in the water and apply a little amount to your scored lines.
Pottery Kit used in this tutorial here.
1. Break off a handful of clay from your pack and leave in the pouch to keep moist. Using the rest of your clay roll out a long rectangular shape around 5mm thick.
2. Use a straight edge (such as a ruler) as a guide and cut along the 4 edges.
3. Roll into a cylinder shape. The clay needs to slightly overlap by about 5mm so it can be joined.
4.Score & slip the long edges and gently bind them together, using your fingers and thumb and paddle tool. Smooth with the moistened sponge. Set aside.
5.Roll out the clay for the base to roughly 5mm thick. Gently sit your vase on the rolled out clay and cut around it using your knife tool. Lift the vase top off.
6. Score & slip the edge of the base and gently place the vase back on it. Using your fingers and thumb and paddle tool join the base to the top.
7. Using the damp sponge, smooth over the edges and walls of the vase. Any cracks that have appeared should smooth out with the sponge.
8. Smooth the top edges and leave round, or gently pinch the clay between your thumb and two fingers, shaping outwards to create a spout
9. Let it dry for 24-48 hours. For best results a few days.
10. Seal with two coats of sealer and it will look beautiful (like the one pictured in the blog), or paint it, then seal. Your vase is now ready for dried flowers OR pop in a small glass jar to hold water for fresh flowers.
NB: This vase is not water safe if you just leave it to air-dry, so if you'd like to put a real flowers inside with water you'll need to get your vase fired. Head to our FAQ page for firing instructions. Take the stress out of the firing mission and pop dried flowers in OR you can put a glass jar inside to hold water + your real flowers 🙃 Don't apply paint or sealer before firing.
We'd love your help with our purpose to introduce more play into everyone's day. Share your kit, creation process, or finished shape on your stories or feed - tag @modeletto.store, so we can re-share.