In this short video, we'll teach you how to turn your pinch pot in to a vase.
Before you get your hands messy:
Put on your favourite record or Spotify playlist (@modeletto.store for some of our tunes).
- Grab a chopping board to work on and a small bowl of water.
- Get your clay pouch + tools ready
Whenever we mention:
- Score: use your pointy tool to etch small lines into each surface to be joined.
- Slip: dip your finger in the water and apply a little amount to your scored lines.
Pottery kit used in this tutorial here.
1. Head to our how to make a pinch pot video, repeat these steps twice so you end up with two pinch pots the same size.
2. Score the rim of each pot and moisten with water.
3. Gently join the 2 pots together. Use the paddle tool to join the edges and smooth over with the sponge.
4. Cut a small hole in the top of your vase, remove excess clay and smooth the rim with the sponge.
5. Option to add a neck + handles.
For the neck: roll a little ball of clay into a thick short cylinder shape then poke a hole through using your pointy sculpting tool. Flatten each end by gently tapping on your chopping board.
Score the top of your vase + moisten the scored edges with a little water. Do the same to one end of your cylinder then put it on top of the vase, matching the holes. Using your blending tool, blend the two shapes together, then smooth with your sponge and a little water.
For the handles: roll two little balls of clay into little sausages (make sure they are equal length. Score where you want each ends of your handles to go on your pot, then add a little water and join them on. Smooth + blend with your paddle tool.
6. Let it dry for 24-48 hours. For best results a few days.
7. Seal with two coats of sealer and it will look beautiful (like these pieces pictured here), or paint it, then seal. Your vase is now ready for dried flowers OR pop in a small glass jar to hold water for fresh flowers.
NB: This vase is not water safe if you just leave it to air-dry, so if you'd like to put real flowers inside with water, you'll need to get your vase fired. Head to our FAQ page for firing instructions. Take the stress out of the firing mission and pop dried flowers in 🙃 Don't apply paint or sealer before firing.
We'd love your help with our purpose to introduce more play into everyone's day. Share your kit, creation process, or finished shape on your stories or feed - tag @modeletto.store, so we can re-share.