In this short video, we'll teach you how to hand-build your pinch pot. Learning how to make this shape is the best place to start with your pottery journey.
Before you get your hands messy:
Put on your favourite record or Spotify playlist (@modeletto.store for some of our tunes).
- Grab a chopping board to work on and a small bowl of water.
- Get your clay pouch + tools ready
Kit used in this tutorial here.
1. Take your clay slab out of its pouch and break it in half. Put one half back in it's pouch to stay moist while you play.
2. Squeeze the clay and model it in your hands to warm it up. Roll into a smooth round ball.
3. Use your thumb, create a small hole in the centre of your ball and press down to about halfway.
4. Rotate the ball in your hand, making small pinches between thumb and fingers, and gradually move up the wall.
5. Continue shaping and moulding, aiming for an even thickness, leaving the rim slightly thicker. Gently tap the bottom of the pot against the board to make a flat base.
6. Dampen the sponge and gently smooth the outside of your pot. If you just want a single pinch pot, you can leave it as it is and let it dry for 24-48 hours then seal with two coats of sealer or paint it with acrylic colours then apply two coats of sealer.
NB: This pot is not water safe if you just leave it to air-dry, so if you'd like to pot a real plant inside, you'll need to get your pot fired. Head to our FAQ page for firing instructions. Take the stress out of the firing mission and pop a succulent in your pot that doesn't require water to stay alive 🙃 Don't apply paint or sealer before firing.
We'd love your help with our purpose to introduce more play into everyone's day. Share your kit, creation process, or finished shape on your stories or feed - tag @modeletto.store, so we can re-share.