In this short video, we'll teach you how to hand-build your own coffee or tea mug.
Before you get your hands messy:
Put on your favourite record or Spotify playlist (@modeletto.store for some of our tunes).
- Grab a chopping board to work on and a small bowl of water.
- Get your clay pouch + tools ready
Pottery Kit used in this tutorial here.
1. Take your clay slab out of its pouch and break it in half. Put one half back in it's pouch to stay moist while you play.
2. Squeeze the clay and model it in your hands to warm it up. Roll into a smooth round ball.
3. Use your thumb, create a small hole in the centre of your ball and press down to about halfway.
4. Rotate the ball in your hand, making small pinches between thumb and fingers, and gradually move up the wall.
5. Continue shaping and moulding, aiming for an even thickness, leaving the rim slightly thicker. Gently tap the bottom of the pot against the board to make a flat base.
6. Dampen the sponge and gently smooth the outside of your pot.
5. For the handle: roll a little ball of clay into little sausage Score where you want each ends of your handles to go on your pot, then add a little water and join them on. Smooth + blend with your paddle tool.
NB: You'll need to get your mug fired to make it food + water safe. Head to our FAQ page for firing instructions. 🙃 Don't apply any acrylic paint or sealer before firing.
We'd love your help with our purpose to introduce more play into everyone's day. Share your kit, creation process, or finished shape on your stories or feed - tag @modeletto.store, so we can re-share.